Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hit Refresh: Healthy Weekend Getaway!

Last weekend I stole away to visit one of Ma and I's previous homes: Minneapolis, MN! I want to share some highlights of the weekend as it was the perfect time to "walk the talk" of looking for ways to be healthy even being out of the daily routine including eating right and exercising. For your next weekend getaway challenge yourself to HIT REFRESH without compromising your habits.

Friday
11:30 am LAND AT MSP
I take some time to do some breathing exercises after being cramped on the plane.


11: 45 am NOSH
My pre-packaged snack of "Kind" Bar, hard-boiled eggs, cheese stick and apple saved the day, otherwise I would have unwisely skipped lunch since I wanted to visit Lake Calhoun before a hair appointment at 2:00. (For more meal ideas & tips, email us at mazidancefitness@gmail.com or check out our previous blog post My 3 Power Breakfasts!)


12:10 pm LOST
I'm lost in St. Paul, why am I so bad with directions, didn't I live here?! Thank goodness I ate.

12:45 pm LAKE CALHOUN FIX
I had planned to just stop by and take in some breaths of fresh air but the scene was so breathtaking I HAD to run around the entire lake (3 easy miles compared to Dance Cardio in my jeans and sneakers. Thankfully, I had my Spotify playlist ready to go on my phone, so easy! I listened to FEB LOVE!, a great combo of rev & chill.
http://o-pen.spotify.com/user/121711395/playlist/4jmvefrWgtFCCSz05t6lBl


Skyline, frozen lake, 35 degrees and memories! AHH
  
1:00 PM SASH SALON W/ SOULMATE COLORIST, MISHA
I was happy to squeeze in a much needed highlighting appointment and was feeling so vactioney that I almost accepted a glass of Vouvray, but changed my mind when I realized that I was heading to happy hour with my ex-co-workers immediately following the appointment, instead I  eat the rest of my pre-packaged snack: dark chocolate almonds.
 
5:00 PM HEAD TO CRAVE GALLERIA
My heart was full of joy as I see my old corporate family including my old boss and Liz, easily the brightest creative I know and who planted some of the initial seeds to start a dance business! Anyway, it could've  been a pass to eat WHATEVER. Fortunately there was healthy food, so I have one glass of wine, a seaweed salad, hummus/veggies, and 2 tuna rolls. There's pizza on the table and I promise myself that I can have a slice if I finish my healthy order first. Guess what?!  I'm too full for pizza so I will have to wait till next time.
 
Saturday
9:30 AM BREAKFAST
I stayed at my dear friend Madhu's place over the weekend and since she's expecting (yaiy!!),  she has tons of healthy food. I have eggs, blueberries, and a few bites of homemade buckwheat walnut pancakes, yum!

10:00 am MaZiDance1 Channel WORKOUT
 


I don't have much time today to workout but I do MaZi's Workout, Whenever, Wherever Playlist:, and 20 minutes later I'm done and sweating profusely!
 
3:00 pm BITS & BITES
Madhu and I head to the Galleria Shopping Center and have fun trying on dresses, and decide on Tocca's "Stella" perfume, a clean, sexy fragrance and rather rare. A snack follows: Fruit smoothie for her, Fresh Veggie Juice and Chicken for me.
 
6:00 pm BREATHE 
Literally. I practice my breathing exercises again (great video for proper breathing here) and unwind thinking about all the things I'm grateful for, before heading to a girl's night-in dinner! 

Maddie & I ready!



8:00 pm DINNER PARTY
My new friend Edessa, has made us a complete Japanese meal from scratch! Variety rolls, sushi, veggie rolls, egg rolls and you name is on the menu, so healthy! (click here for her yummy spring rolls recipe)
 






Sunday
9:00 am FEED THE SPIRIT
I'm fortunate that one of my good friends is game to head to my favorite church for services with me, the message this AM speaks to me literally: "Help others carry their loads, and allow others to carry yours". :) For some lovely spiritual quotes, no matter your beliefs, see these from my favorite Saint, Mother Teresa.

Brent and I with our free bread slices!
10:30 BRUNCH @ LINDEN HILLS
We head to this cute little spot that has the most amazing bread ever: Great Harvest! They give FREE slices of bread, so I select a cinnamon chip scone and pick up a loaf to bring home to my hubby. After that, we head to Zumbro's and I have a Mexican style eggs with salsa and corn tortillas.

1:00 PM ANOTHER HIKE, A LITTLE CHOREO
I was supposed to either go to Zumba with a friend or take ballet at Minnesota Dance Theater, which I love to do when I'm visiting anywhere to get ideas, but brunch ran a bit long. I go back to the Chain of Lakes for another run and take the opportunity to choreograph a bit while strangers stare. Who cares, I don't live here anymore. :) You can always do MaZi's 25 min on-the-go Zumba class HERE!

5:00 PM WINDING DOWN 
Perfect gift!
After a bit more shopping and visits with friends, I stop at a local massage place for a Deep Tissue. They're all booked, so I will have to wait to come back to Chicago to book a massage at either Windy City Wellness with Rachel or Urban Wellness with Megan or Terri immediately!
 
8:00 PM TAKE-OUT & GOSSIP& VOSGES
We order some veggie-loaded dishes from a local Thai hot spot; The King and I, and Madhu and I wrap up our gossip for the weekend and finish off dinner with some exotic caramels I brought her from VOSGES. http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/!
 
Monday
7:30 AM TAKE-OFF This girl from TX, with a NY complex, who breathes Chicago, is a Minnesotan at heart. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment