Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Meet Mallory!

Glowing onstage!
Mallory has been dancing at MaZi for about 3 years and performing in the company, MaZi Dance Chicago, almost just as long! The lovely movement/dance therapist recently joined our instructor team and has begun teaching classes at our South Loop studio. Here, in her own words, she tells us a little about herself and shares some sisterly tips on motivation & fitness!

How do you relax?
Cuddle up on my comfy couch, practice deep breathing, and listen to a record, often accompanied by red wine and or my handsome gentleman. 

How do you rev up? 
Music and positive thinking! A good beat and encouraging thoughts always do the trick for me.

What fashion item can you not live without?
My glasses of course! Even though they are also necessary, they're my go to fashion accessory and help give me my distinctive look. 

Go to healthy snack?
Bananas! I try to eat one every day especially before class. They are my super food power booster. 
Fave indulgence? Oh so many to choose, but I'd probably have to say pizza! Preferably thin crust, NY style with at least 2 veggies! :)

What do you like about teaching at MaZi!?
I LOVE the idea of making both dance and fitness accessible to everyone! Moreover, it is the smiles and transformations that I witness each week, the confidence it brings, and the holistic health benefits it provides to both the body and mind. I love being part of a community where you feel welcomed and encouraged daily both by our instructors and our students! Lastly, it is the radiating energy and drive of our dancers that keeps me addicted!

Song that keeps you going?
I need your love (feat. Ellie Goulding) - Calvin Harris. It may be an oldie at this point but every time it comes on in a class I punch harder, jump higher, and feel that unexplainable burst of energy!

Fun fact?
In high school I was a cheerleading captain and a vocalist for a metal band! 

 #1 Fitness tip?
Always tune into your core throughout the entire class. It helps with so many things: gives you a stronger work out, more stable posture, and truly initiates your inner confidence! Even while your walking down the street, using mindfulness about this on a daily basis will help you feel more connected as a mover and as a person! 
Mallory getting ready to kick bum!


How your ballet background makes a difference?
Growing up in a very traditional studio since I was 3, ballet was always required - it is the backbone to form, strength, and posture that bleeds into all other styles of dance including exercise. Even though as an adult I gravitate toward other dance forms more intently, ballet will always be in my bones. It taught me about discipline, passion, and increased my work ethic, all of which have helped mold me into who I am today as an instructor, dance/movement therapist, and overall person.  

Don't miss her bold and fearless classes at South Loop 5:30 PM on Fridays with Ballerina Fight Club, perfect way to start the weekend!

- XO, Zi

No comments:

Post a Comment