Sunday, October 19, 2014

Lessons from an Icon- Wendy Whelan

Wendy in rehearsal
Photo: Erin Biano
The One and Only Wendy

Last night Wendy Whelan (think the Michael Jordan of ballet), retired from the New York City Ballet after 3 decades of dancing at the age of 47.  Marisol and I grew up watching videos of her dancing on repeat and I think it was watching her that I realized how athletic ballet is. She encompassed the very first post-Balanchine era at the NYCB, where she helped define what it was to forge ahead  after the death of the founder, George Balanchine.

I got to meet her the first time I took class at Steps on Broadway, where I now usually take a ballet class when I'm visiting NYC. As we started our plies Wendy rushed in late with her hair down, dressed in all black, and took a corner spot at the barre.  I could hardly believe she was there and it actually ruined my class as I was too distracted to focus on what I was doing. Since then, when I take class there I know to just take barre and then sit down and watch her for centre work. After class I somehow mustered the courage to go up to her and ask her for an autograph (2004, pre-selfies) for my friend, Sarah. Sarah was my ballet BFF and she loved Wendy since they both had significant scoliosis that required wearing a back brace nightly. I will never forget how gracious she was to me and while I have never approached her again (playing it cool like any other New Yorker would), this encounter along with following her career for 20 years have made an impact on me. These are the lessons:


Wendy in Wheeldon's After the Rain, a role created for her and performed last night
.Photo: Unknown source

1. Humility-
When I stopped her that day after class I can't imagine she had time in the middle of her busy day, but she sat there and looked at me with her huge, wise eyes and gave me time. She was kind and listened to me talk about my sister, my friend Sarah,  my own ballet career and even the banking interview I was headed to. She was world famous, and I was clearly just a star-struck fan but she found the time to make me feel special.

2. No Ego-
Biggest thing that struck me while I observed her in class is how hard she was working. Probably harder than anyone. When the teacher went up to her to correct her, she applied the correction immediately, would bow her head in respect and was clearly trying to learn as much as possible. Oftentimes, when we feel we've "made it", we stop listening, stop taking feedback, stop growing. Not Wendy!

3. Mind over Matter- 
She could have let her scoliosis stop her dancing dreams as a child, and most recently, a labrum tear injury, but she didn't! These were setbacks that she worked through with notable humor (ref. Instagram posts) and you could literally see her focusing on small improvements. Some improvements which arguably may have just been in her head.

4. Finding YOUR Beauty-
Early in her career she declined the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy in the Nutcracker because she didn't feel pretty enough. Yup, you read that right; SHE DIDN'T FEEL PRETTY ENOUGH. It wasn't until she was cast in roles that highlighted her strengths that she started to feel beautiful. The lesson here is that your beauty looks different than others' beauty, but we all have it!

5. Passing it On-
Another striking quality that I have taken away in following her career, is that almost every NYCB company dancer that is interviewed brings up Wendy as an unofficial mentor. From showing new apprentices where to stand in their first company class, to passing on a role of hers, to how to fit pointe shoes, she has helped new ballerinas feel at home in an intimidating place. One would think that you wouldn't want to help competition that's younger and a potential threat to your spotlight........but not her, not an icon.

I only watched her perform live 3 times and each time she went onstage you could feel the thickness in the auditorium air. It was almost as if no one wanted to breathe as to not disrupt the magic she was creating. Wendy has influenced the energy and movement integrity that I seek for MaZi Dance Fitness, along with the supportive community that Marisol and I wish to foster as these lessons all play a role. I can't wait to see what she does next! Cheers to a wonderful human, dancer and career!

- XO, Zi

No comments:

Post a Comment