Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Homecoming- Returning to Dance

Katie, a MaZi Dance Chicago dancer, generously shares her experience of coming home to the studio, the stage and reconnecting with her passion! This was very touching to read as Marisol and I have both been in the place where dance haunts you like an unfinished love affair until you find a way to do it again! 
Katie comes home!

Overwhelmed with Gratitude for MaZi
By: Katie Lowes

It’s been five long years since I last performed on stage. Five years since “call time” related to an arrival and not a conference. Five years since “warm up” meant stretching and not thawing. Five years since wearing a costume outside of Halloween was both accepted and required. Five years since I felt like a dancer.

Being a dancer has always been part of my identity but I didn’t realize how deeply so until I joined MaZi Dance Chicago (MDC). It had been nearly a decade (ack!) since I’d taken formal classes and I had recently given away all of my dance clothes thinking (dramatically) that I’d never dance again. Adult classes were too easy. Professional classes were too hard. I was too old. Classes were too expensive. The list went on and on. When I found MDC about five months ago, the part of me that had “let go” of my dance dreams performed a grande jeté (couldn’t resist) for joy and the passion for dance I had always had was reignited. It’s one thing to take dance classes. It’s a complete other to learn choreography and perform. I couldn't believe this place existed and I couldn't believe I could be part of it.

After months of preparation, fast forward to the first week in November and not only had I spent an entire week dancing every day (every day!) but I was preparing for a real performance in front of my family, friends and strangers and beside amazingly talented women who were just like me. The choreography was beautiful. Our rehearsals were strong. The shows were sold out. Each of us were “on”. It was the first time my husband had seen me perform and the perma-grin on his face from the back of the audience told me everything I needed to know. It was an amazing night.

I’m so thankful to have had the opportunity to perform in the MaZi Bold Fearless Beauty show and so thankful to Ziba and Marisol for creating this amazing space and place for “returning to dance” dancers. While age may mean my muscles take longer to warm and I seem to bruise like a peach these days, I’m amazed at the growth I’ve seen in my own abilities and how being older and wiser has made my dancing less inhibited. The creative outlet outside of work has encouraged me to be more expressive and creative within my work and I’m finding the disdain I had for “the gym” has been replaced with excitement for “the studio”. As someone who once called herself a former dancer, I proud to say I have returned. 

Katie, we're so happy you made it back home and look forward to your next accomplishments!
With Love, 
Zi & Ma
XOXO




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post. I am dancing, yoga and barre class lover. I feel good and flexible by doing these. I got to know many new things from your blog. Thank you very much. I am refreshed.



    Ballet equipment |
    Ballet business

    ReplyDelete