Thursday, December 20, 2012

Brownies: Naughty & Nice

"I hate brownies!", said no one ever. I started baking brownies at the tender age of 8 with a recipe from my first cookbook, aptly named "Kid's Cookbook". Given that I have difficulties following instructions, they didn't turn out very well but I have found my go-to recipes! These are my two favorite Brownie recipes for very different reasons.

NAUGHTY
The first is quick, lowfat, ridiculously simple and beyond delicious.The consistency is a crazy combo of chewy fudge and crispy edges. I heard of this recipe several years ago and it stuck in my head because you need two things:

Brownie Mix- I LOVE this one!

And the very controversial drink:

AND THAT'S IT!

I know what you're thinking.....I was reluctant also but it works and never fails to please! These are also Marisol's favorite, I can't count how many times I've made these for her. :) You take the Brownie box mix of your choice (literally any), dump it in a bowl and add diet coke ounce by ounce, mixing very well until it reaches the right consistency (probably about 1/2 cup-2/3 cup). You then follow the heating directions on the box and viola! These are perfect if you are:
- short on time
- can live with yourself after eating gluten, sugar and artificial sweetners (all currently damned ingredients)
- cutting down on fat
- run out of oil, eggs or butter

From thespunkycoconut.com!

NICE
The second is VIRTUOUS, grain-free,  and requires an involved grocery trip. This consistency retains it's brownie nature of fudgey, moist and chewy! Recipe here from thespunkycoconut.com. These are perfect if you are:
- not currently eating any gluten, grains, eggs
- shun artificial sweetners (nice job!)
- have time

Enjoy whichever you choose and remember to share and savor the moment!

-Zi



2 comments:

  1. I make black bean brownies. Puree a can of black beans and combine with any brownie mix. The brownies come out super moist and are packed with fiber. You can't taste the beans at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tip! We'll try it. :)

    ReplyDelete